Sunday, May 22, 2011

Saying Goodbye...

It's never easy. A friend of mine lost his father just the other night.  It had been a battle with cancer and he just couldn't beat it anymore. Thankfully Adam got to tell his dad goodbye. This reminded me of when my dad's dad, Grandpa Bird, passed away.

I know I talked about this sort of a couple of blogs ago.  But this got me to thinking about the time I got to say goodbye to Grandpa.

As I mentioned before, Grandpa died on May 9th, 1992.  We went to Nebraska for Easter that year. It fell on April 19th, so that was the last day I saw Grandpa alive. We knew this would be the last time we would see him as well, so before we all climbed into the van to go home, we each went in by ourselves to tell Grandpa goodbye.  I remember giving Grandpa a hug. We talked a little bit. What he said to me before I left has never left me.  He said, "Thank you for loving me, Susie."  I feel blessed to have been able to have loved that man.  Grandpa was absolutely wonderful. He was a hardworking, loving family man.  You should see the work ethic all of his kids have.

I was lucky to have that last talk with Grandpa as well as a last talk with Grandma McLain. Unfortunately, I won't get to have a last talk with Grandma Bird, at least nothing meaningful, as her mind is mostly gone.  I feel so blessed to have the memories of times spent with her though. I am lucky to have memories with almost all of my grandparents. Then add the times I am getting to spend with birth grandparents now.. Heck, I'm just lucky to have the family I do, birth and adopted.

And now I have a son of my own to pass on things I have learned.  Well, that's all for now. Riley has been chilling in the exersaucer and now it's bath time.

1 week!! 1 week left until summer "break." I say "break" because I will be working some over the summer, just not a whole bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment